Thursday 16 June 2011

Why I Fly With Tiger Airways (And Will Continue To Do So For The Foreseeable Future)

About four weeks ago I posted a question via my Facebook status enquiring whether any of my friends knew the regulations for transporting a guitar when flying via Tiger Airlines. Although nobody knew the answer to this question, several people felt the need to weigh in with their opinions as to why Tiger is the worst airline, and why I should most definitely NOT entrust my guitar with them.

In fact, the response was so vehement and instantaneous, so damning in condemnation for the budget flight service, that I had to double check I hadn’t typed something more along the lines of: “Hey guys – am thinking of joining a Nazi Death Cult and have heard of this one called Tiger Airways. Anyone heard of it?”

What I didn’t mention at the time, was that not only had I already booked my flight with Tiger, but I quite regularly fly with them – and not only do I hold their airline in high esteem, but I frequently talk them up to anyone who will listen. In fact, I am a member of both their national and international email newsletter list, a stripes reward flier, and a few years ago, after my first flight with them and before having a Facebook page was essential for business, I actively sought them out on the social networking site and became a fan – one of the very select few I have consciously done without their needing to promote it. I even considered writing a post on their wall about how awesome I think they are. And no, believe it or not – I’m not joking.

My reason for liking them so much? It’s really quite simple.

1.) They’re cheap
2.) In MY experience, they’re good. Consistently. And,
3.) They’ve contributed significantly to opening up Australia to easier exploration.

Now, I count myself rather fortunate to be blessed with a number of intelligent, interesting, kind and humorous human beings for friends, and the last thing I’d want is for any of them to take this post as an attack – it is not. But, strangely enough, though I let the Tiger bashing go at the time, I felt oddly hurt by the whole situation – like someone were mocking my favourite band or director. And, just as I would if someone WERE making fun of an artist I liked, I somehow feel the need to stick up for Tiger.

Around about the time this all took place, it’d been mentioned to me that a news piece was doing the rounds that Tiger had run into some trouble for flying with a faulty wing. I assumed then, that this had perhaps played a part in why people felt the need to tell me the airline was terrible. I also have heard tales from people I know and trust of their own experience when flying with Tiger, and having their flights delayed or even worse – cancelled with no notification and little recompense for the trouble.

I will agree that both points here are valid for thinking that the airline is shoddy, and I admit that if the same had happened to me, I would probably think similar.

(NOTE: Interestingly enough, statistically speaking last year Virgin was the worst major airline for flight cancellations - and yes, Tiger was the worst for delays with approximately 1 in 3 flights leaving late. However, YTD so far, Tiger's on-flight performance is at 83%, slightly trailing Qantas at 84.75% and way in front of Virgin Blue, who're at 77.6%
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/travellers-check/the-battle-to-be-ontime-20101122-1836k.html
http://www.tigerairways.com/sg/en/on_time_performance.php
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/on-time-performance/global/en
http://www.virginaustralia.com/Personal/Flightinfo/Ontimeperformance/VirginBlueOnTimePerformance/index.htm)

But you see, the thing is – it hasn’t happened to me yet. And the thing about THAT is, if it were going to happen to anyone, by all probability it should’ve happened to me by now, because in the last three years, I’ve made 13 flights with the airline, and not one flight was cancelled, and not one plane crashed.
But I’ll be honest with you – it hasn’t all been bubbles and pixie dust. There was one time when we were delayed for five hours; three in the airport and two on the tarmac. That was a very unpleasant experience and, ultimately, a gruelling pain in the arse for all involved.

But did it stop me from flying with Tiger again? No. Why? Two reasons.

1.) Mostly because that which made the experience loathsome was not Tiger’s laxness, but the obnoxious, arrogant, petulant and all-round annoying fellow fliers who WOULD NOT STOP COMPLAINING in very loud tones for the entire two hours we were held up on the tarmac – even after it had been explained to us that they were examining an anomaly with one of the engines and would move us as soon as they could.

2.) Secondly – the flight cost $50. That’s right - $50. I paid a grand total of fifty bucks to fly half the length of Australia. For that kind of money for that kind of delivery, I am willing to tolerate quite a substantial amount of delay and miscommunication.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the luxury of time that others might have – people are on deadlines, etc. But the point I’ll make here is that you get what you pay for. I didn’t expect amazing service, I just expected to arrive safely at my destination. Did they do that? Yes. Box ticked. If I paid, oh, say $150, or $200, or $350 (which is what I paid four years earlier for a similar flight with Qantas – which was delayed for 2 hours), then I wouldn’t have been quite so Zen about the whole thing.

One major delay out of 13 flights is not bad, by any standard.

Several years ago, it was virtually unknown to get a flight out of Brisbane to any of the other major Australian cities for under $300, each way. Virgin’s entrance to the scene certainly made prices marginally more competitive, but it was Tiger’s entry a few years after them that really set the standard for what we have now.

I’ve made 14 flights in total in the last 3 years, and the most I’ve paid for a ticket in that time is $180. That was with Virgin Blue whom, coincidentally, cancelled my flight last Sunday due to volcanic ash from Chile.
Of course, I do not hold them responsible for the cancellation of the flight – safety is of the most paramount importance in these situations. But what I do hold them responsible for is the complete nonchalance their staff displayed in answering questions at the gate when turning customers back, and the lack of communication on their website in the hours that followed.

Tiger also cancelled their flights – but had the insight at least to make an easily recognisable link on the front page of their website explaining the situation, and what they were doing to rectify it. After not hearing anything from Virgin for 18 hours, and watching the seats to all flights out of Melbourne for the rest of the week get more expensive even as they swiftly dwindled, I took the initiative and booked a return flight back to Brisbane to avoid an even lengthier delay. Can you guess who I booked the flight with?

“Oh but Denis!” I hear you cry, “Tiger may be cheap, but they sting you at the airport for the most ludicrous things! They make it so confusing and deliberately trick you into paying all these extras!”

Really? Without wanting to be rude, can I ask – how closely do you pay attention when you’re booking your ticket? Because I generally like to make sure if I’m going on a trip – especially if it’s important – that I’m as prepared as possible. And I hate to break it to you, but the Tiger book-in system quite clearly stipulates where the extras are, every step of the way through the process. I have never been stung by Tiger for hidden fees, and I have never resented Tiger charging extra for services like counter check-in, picking a seat, or boarding first.

Do you know why these things are extra? Because I probably only paid between $70-$90 for the ticket. Other airlines charge more for their tickets BECAUSE THESE THINGS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRICE. When flying with Tiger, the onus of responsibility is on me to ensure that I am prepared, and thus Tiger takes responsibility of providing me with a cheap alternative to the other major airlines.

If I forget to do a web check in and then have to stand in line, whose fault is it really? Is it Tiger’s for charging extra, or mine for being lax?

Australia is a big place. Living in Brisbane can sometimes feel pretty isolating from our bustling cousins down south. Since Tiger have brought their budget airline to Australia, they have made it easier and cheaper for low-income individuals to get out and see this amazing place we live in.

I’m not saying they’re without their flaws – I for one would like to see them introduce a carbon-offset policy similar to the other major airlines. But for the benefit they have provided, I am deeply grateful, and I will continue to fly with them despite their public perception as a shoddy provider. It’s not up to me who you choose to fly with, I can only outline my opinions from my perspective. And so far, I’ve had no reason to think Tiger are anything but excellent for the prices they charge, and the services they deliver.

And by the way – my guitar got down to Melbourne and back just fine.

P.S. Normally, I wouldn't go to such lengths as this to argue a point, but I had to catch a flight back to Brisbane from Melbourne this morning (at 6am :S) - I was tired and grumpy, and all of the staff were just so lovely and accommodating, I really felt like they needed some defending. Kudos to you Tiger!