Wednesday 21 September 2011

Stupid Characters

Gordon McAlpin is the writer and illustrator of a web comic I love called Multiplex (http://multiplexcomic.com/).  As its name suggests, it's set in a Cinema Multiplex - and perhaps part of the reason why I love it so is because I spent four years whilst studying working for Cineplex Australia; first as an usher, and finally as a projectionist.  Often times, the staff would joke about how excellent a television series our exploits would make.


But as it turns out, a web comic does the job just as well.  And when I was first recommended this comic by a friend late last year, I devoured the entire archive in two solid days of reading.


For movie buffs out there, the comic has a cutting and witty mix of trivia, critiques and general film-type conversation; which is completely fun to read.  But what McAlpin does really well is to create a self-contained world with realistic characters, and a story line that is genuinely engaging.  To be honest, I've never been the kind of guy to read a comic simply for the illustrations; but McAlpin's work here too suits the theme of his story very well - in particular when the characters venture into heritage cinemas.  That's where it really shines.


I follow the fellow on twitter, and this afternoon we had a bit of a back-and-forth spawned by the television series Breaking Bad (which I am not overly fond of).  I was venting about how frustrated I get at the stupidity of characters - which is the main reason why I dislike Breaking Bad and stopped watching it.  To which he offered this thought, that resonated strongly with my views on all kinds of entertaining fiction.


@gmcalpin:
"The most unrealistic thing I can happily tolerate in fiction is the conceit that everybody in the world is intelligent and articulate."




Upon thinking about it, I realise that I have no real problem with characters who are uneducated, idiotic, dumb or unlikable; but I have a real problem with characters who are intelligent, yet continue to make stupid decisions, simply to move the plot forward.  In this sense, I define "stupid" as something which is outwardly ridiculous.  At such a point, I lose interest in the film's story because I begin to get the feeling that the filmmakers are bashing me over the head with their opinions.  McAlpin opined about the series that: "It's good but the writing defies logic too often for the sake of "cool" moments," which is a similar sentiment a filmmaking buddy of mine offered some months back when we were also talking about the show.


Any film or writing teacher will tell you that in any piece of work, a character must follow their own desires; their own wants and their own needs.  This is where the conflict of drama enters and how a story evolves.  It is also how the "journey" of a character can articulate itself, and gain resonance with its audience.  Yet when characters who otherwise are intelligent, sane human beings, make choices that an audience cannot understand, and continues to offer anything satisfying in the way of explanation or resolution for those choices - then why should we waste our time in following their journey?


At the end of the day though - the main reason why I stopped watching Breaking Bad is because I just hated the characters.  I don't even care that the writing was good, or that the story was different, or that it was making a point - all of the characters were utterly irredeemable, and it depressed me to witness their constant stupidity.


This is actually a part of a greater line of thinking I have on the important balance between character and plot; but I'll save that for a longer post.